Residence Permit

Students from EU, EEA and Switzerland

National students from European Union (EU) countries, European Economic Area/EEA (Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) and Switzerland have the right to live in the national territory for a period up to 3 months without other conditions and/or formalities beyond having a valid identity card or passport.

However, if their stay is longer than 3 months, they must formalize their right of residence within 30 days after the three-month stay in the country. For more information check the Foreigner’s Service (SEF – Serviço de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras) website.

Third countries students

In order to enter into Portuguese territory all foreign citizens must:

·         Hold a travel document valid for at least three months after the duration of the expected stay, except if it is a re-entry of a foreign citizen who resides in the Country.

·         Hold a valid visa which is adequate to the purpose of the visit. Such visa must be requested at a Portuguese diplomatic mission or permanent consular post abroad.

·         Hold sufficient subsistence means for the period of stay.

·         Not being subject to any alert issued in SEF’s Integrated Information System or in Schengen Information System.

Upon arrival, it is important to highlight that foreign students entering Portugal through a non-controlled border (whose passports are not stamped in Portugal) need to contact the Foreigners’ Services (SEF - Serviço de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras), within 3 days of their arrival, in order to report their entrance in the country. After this three-day-period, they will be charged a fine. Furthermore, upon arrival these students should request a residence permit.

To deal with issues related to your documents in Portugal, you may visit the customer service bureaus of the Immigration and Borders Service (SEF), located in all Regional Directorates, Delegations or Departments of your area of residence.

SEF has a pre-booking system whereby your appointment for any customer service bureau can be booked either by telephone or on line.

Please visit the website or contact the International Relations Office.

Additional information